px'/>

Friday, May 10, 2013

Creative Slumps (And how the Met Gala revived me)

So over the past week I’ve been in a bit of a creative slump. I haven’t been on any blogs and the thought of fashion in general just made me feel rather lackadaisical. I couldn't say what brought about that feeling, but alas there I was--fashion blogger with no interest in fashion.

How apropos.
Then on Tuesday night all the stars aligned, literally and figuratively, in the cosmos to reignite my fervor for fashion, and on the red carpet for the annual “Oscars of Fashion,” otherwise known as the Met Gala. This year’s theme was Punk: Chaos to Couture and that made for a very, shall we say, interesting red carpet. Some adhered closely to the theme, while others came dressed for prom or their wedding. Theme aside, I’m always here for capital F--Fashion! These celebrities are dressing up, but now I’m about to dress ‘em down. The following is my brief commentary and allow me to emphasize it's MY personal opinion:
 
The Worst:

Beyonce in Givenchy Haute Couture; Anne Hathaway in vintage Valentino
Gwenyth Paltrow in Valentino Haute Couture; Kim Kardashian in my grandma's couch cushions Givenchy
I really don't even want to dignify these with commentary, suffice it to say that Beyonce clearly got lost on her way to the New York stop of the Mrs. Carter world tour and Valentino clearly hates Goop and Susan Powter Anne Hathaway. As for Ms. Kardashian, you finally finagle an invite (to Anna Wintour's chagrin I'm sure) and this is what you do? It's cliche at this point to jump on the Kardashian hatred bandwagon, but Kim this is not acceptable. Kanye?!

The Best:


Carey Mulligan: So she's been on several red carpets lately promoting the Great Gatsby and looking worse for the wear. I've always admired her style so I was dismayed and confused upon seeing her like this. Thankfully she redeemed herself a million times over in this amazing Balenciaga dress. I love how it's deceptively simple, and yet the side cutouts, gold hardware, and peplum detail, make this so much more than your run-of-the mill LBD. Please get into that toe cleavage. In a word, yes.

Olivia Wilde: I KNEW it was Calvin Klein at first sight. No one does sexy, structured minimalism better.

Diane Kruger: Just so effortlessly pretty (as usual) and I love the added detail of the tulle overlay extending past the lace hem.

Chanel Iman: My feelings about stripes, especially of the black and white variety, should be clear by now. Love the shoes, not sold on the hair, but the theme was punk so I'll just ignore it.

Rooney Mara: Easily best dressed. This is a look from head to toe and everything about it is perfect, from the slicked-back hair, to that amazing blackish plum lip (I NEED), to the ankle-strap sandals. If a man were ever crazy enough to marry me, this is exactly how I'd want to look on my big day.

Cameron Diaz: The lone pop of color in my sea of black and white favorites. I've never been one to check for Cammie D's fashions, but she brought it! That cobalt blue is mesmerizing. I'm in love with the floor length cape/capelet/shroud? and the addition of the spiked metallic belt is the perfect touch of punk.

Twenty Questions (minus two):

Ashley Olsen (vintage Dior): I guess when you’re a billionaire fashion mogul you can just POP IN to the Met Gala after a trip to the beach? I mean, I don’t know..
Chloe Sevigny (Proenza Schouler): Why do I enjoy this against all reason?
Elizabeth Banks (Atelier Versace): Is this how you take a less than stellar dress and style it to perfection? Die for the Brian Atwood shoes, perfect pompadour, and her dramatic smoky eye (one of few who got it right).
Emma Watson (Prabal Gurung): Hermione Emma where are the rest of your clothes? I want to like this, but I feel like a curvier figure is necessary here. Love the shoes though!
Ginnifer Goodwin (Tory Burch): How many sleepless nights will I spend having nightmares about this eye makeup? Please ask Elizabeth Banks how it's done.
Gisele Bundchen (Anthony Vaccarello): Have I seen someone else in this dress? Oh yeah, AT THE CLUB last night. I do enjoy the dress though, despite its inappropriateness.
Heidi Klum (Marchesa): If you put pictures of her side by side at galas (or any event for that matter) through the years, would you be able to tell the difference? Switch it up lady!
Kelly Osborne (Marc Jacobs): Are you serious? Why were you even invited? Fashion Police is not a qualification, sorry.
Kirsten Dunst (Louis Vuitton):  Is she gorge right now? She is.


Katy Perry (Dolce & Gabbana): Is it Halloween? You tried it girl. 
Kristen Stewart (Stella McCartney): Do I love this or hate this? Is this red eye shadow working? (I think I love it!)
Lena Dunham (Erdem): Uh...who knew Erdem was such a cutie?
Mary-Kate Olsen (vintage Chanel): Ok are her and her sister just trolling us at this point? WTF? And ma’am are you well?
Michelle Williams (Saint Laurent): Wasn’t this the MET gala?? She's wearing a plain, black MULLET dress. Please consult Carey Mulligan as to how to properly rock an LBD.
Minka Kelly (Carolina Herrera): I can’t even with the dress, but WHY did her MUA make this pretty girl look like a damn drag queen?
Nicki Minaj (Tommy Hilfiger): Tommy Hilfiger?? Rainbow, I say.
Solange (Kenzo): Can I say something nice about this look? Ughhh girl I want to love everything you do, I do! Welp….I LOVE those earrings. (ETA: Upon further inspection I don’t actually hate this. It’s cute, very Solange.)
Zooey Deschanel (Tommy Hilfiger): Is...that...a seersucker, wide-leg pantsuit? Tommy Hilfiger strikes again.

And that's all folks. I know I kept it rather brief, but I have nothing more to say about this.

3 comments:

  1. You forgot Nicole Ritchie!!! She looked amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on sister!! Apparently she thinks N. Richie can kick rocks lol.

    ReplyDelete