px'/>

Friday, March 22, 2013

The intersection of art and fashion

When I finally got the opportunity to visit the famed new Dalí museum, a few things jumped out to me. First, who knew Dalí was so prolific? There were only two wings, but I could have easily spent all day browsing around. Second, I piggybacked on a tour session and the tour guide mentioned that Dalí had never taken any drugs (side-eye). Third, and most significantly as a lover of fashion, I passed the painting, Three young Surrealist women holding in their arms the skins of an orchestra, and I did a double take because their floral-ensconced heads were so reminiscent of something. After several minutes zoning out in front of the painting (to the chagrin of other patrons) I finally recalled Lady G in her insanely fabulous floral, Philip Treacy headdress. 



I’ve always known that art has been a huge inspiration for fashion designers. I’ve long coveted a Piet Mondrian-inspired YSL (or should I say SL? I’m confused...) piece, but alas I’ve yet to find a clever imitation at the local mall. It was so interesting seeing this intersection first hand, so I felt inspired to do some more research into the subject, specifically where Dalí was concerned. Of course the first search result brought up the apparently infamous ‘Lobster’ dress, which was a collaboration between Schiaparelli and Dalí.



After I recovered from the shame of this being my first time learning about this famous collaboration, I could properly sit in awe at the beauty that lies in the utter simplicty of this dress. I can't help but be reminded of the popularity of the 'animal face' sweaters now (see: Markus Lupfer). It all goes to show that fashion is cyclical and inspiration lies everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment