px'/>

Friday, April 19, 2013

STUNT QUEENS!

By now these images, from Vogue Netherlands’ so-called homage to Marc Jacobs' past work for Louis Vuitton, have been passed around, dissected and torn apart by every blog worth its salt. I almost didn’t even want to comment, but ultimately felt I’d be remiss not to. In my opinion, the staff of Vogue Netherlands are some certified stunt queens and I might as well give them the attention they’re so obviously craving. I mean, who even knew Vogue had a Netherlands edition? Don’t worry, I’ll wait…

This is the only scenario that makes sense to me because given the recent spate of blackface in fashion and the consequent incensed reactions by, well, everyone with some damn sense, it is completely inconceivable that their editorial staff is ignorant to the complete impropriety and racism inherent in a spread like this. Right? Right?!
I was pondering this for a while and one of my initial thoughts was that the model, Querelle Jansen, isn’t necessarily accountable because she was probably just there to shoot and collect a check. But then I realized, as she was sitting in the makeup chair getting her face painted CHARCOAL BLACK and getting a “textured” wig slapped on her head (nice touch Vogue), she could have seen how wrong this was, had some integrity, and refused to do the shoot. On the other hand, I’m absolutely certain there would have been another model waiting in the wings to take her place.

Ultimately, Vogue Netherlands got the attention they wanted and they may issue some half-hearted non-apology (i.e. We’re sorry if you're offended), but when is the fashion industry going to wake up and get the message? This is legitimately wrong, and worse still it doesn’t even look good (she looks crazy!) Jacobs was apparently inspired by Josephine Baker and Grace Jones, so I can't help but think how lovely Joan Smalls or Jourdan Dunn, for example, would have looked in this editorial (with the help of some better styling too...*side-eye*). If you're listening Vogue Netherlands, which I'm sure you are, I suggest you close up shop for a while and ship the whole staff over to Italy to do an internship over at Vogue Italia because they always get it right.

Anna Wintour, come get your people.

2 comments:

  1. I tried to pick a favorite excerpt to include in this comment, but I literally could not because the entire thing just took my life! Your commentary is witty, hilarious, unique, and genuine! Found a new favorite blog!

    Anna Wintour, come read this blog!! #itsurgent

    xoxo


    ReplyDelete